New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password? Need Help?  
chlymidia how long before you become infertile?
12 posts on this thread and the last post was on July 26th, 2007 1:31 PM by lisa mc
lisa mc - July 16th, 2007 8:05 AM

hi my partner and i have been trying to concieve for 7 months now. i came off b/c pill in dec/jan and only had three periods in this time. we have both had children before. i have been doing a lot of research on the internet since we are having problems concieving and have read that chlymidia can eventually make you infertile. how long would this take as there is a good chance i could of contracted it as long as 6 years ago. i have never been tested as my partner and i have never had any symptoms. could this also be causing my irregular periods?

slowpoke01 - July 16th, 2007 9:49 AM

you should go to the doc and be tested..also they should check to see if you are ovulating..if you dont ovulate every month this can cause you periods to be irregular and also they should test for PCOS..(polycystic ovarian syndrome) also of women with PCOS have it for years and never know it..they have very irregular periods, it can be treated with meds should have them do bloodwork and check your hormone levels..I dont think that chlamydia causes your periods to be irregular but i am not for sure but i would say that more than likely you arent ovulating every month for some reason..maybe your hormones are out of whack and they can fix that with meds..Good luck

sherryz - July 16th, 2007 10:18 AM

lisa, my dh and I have been ttc for over a year now. We've been seeing an RE for a month now. We've had all the bloodwork, I had an hsg and tomorrow we will go in for the post coital test. The nurse called me Fri and said I tested positive for chlamydia antibodies. I was very upset being I've only had 3 partners in 15 years (my exhusband, husband and a boyfriend). She said they often have false-positive tests, and wants me to have another test tomorrow. I was so upset she had to speak with my husband. He asked how this would effect getting pg, and she said not at all. She said we (my dh and I) would simply need to take an antibiotic and it would clear things up. I was really worried. I went for my hsg right after this conversation thinking I would be blocked because of major infection. I did have some proximal blockage but the dye cleared it out. The dr. performing the hsg told my dh that the blockage was probably mucus and that was probably the reason we were having difficulty. I had no inflamation or anything that chlamydia could have caused. So, I guess my answer to you is this, go to your dr. and get tested. I don't believe the chlamdia could/would cause irregular periods. Take some ovulation testing kits and try to pinpoint your lh surge. You should be ok. Good luck!

lisa mc - July 16th, 2007 10:36 AM

slowpoke- had had regular periods before i went on the pill its just been since i came off the pill that they have went all to whack. i got a blood test to check my hormones are they were apparently fine. they are going to be checking me for pcos but it seems to be taking forever!! they want to do a blood test to see if i am pregnant first (which i know am not) sherryz-whats a post coital test? i have never heard of that. my doctor just doesnt seem to be in a hurry to do anything!! i did start using that ovulation test strips but i can go as long as 4 months without a period and for the time that i did test i never got a surge!

sherryz - July 16th, 2007 10:49 AM

lisa, the post coital test is where you and your dh have "relations" around the time of ovulation and then you have to go into the dr's office. He swabs your cervix and tests to see "if" there are sperm present, and "if" they're moving in the right direct. It's basically a test to see if your mucus is killing off the sperm because of certain antibodies. When I visited my RE he scheduled everything (all the testing) within 2 weeks. Only one cycle will go by and all the testing will be complete. If you're not happy with the speed of things, maybe you should speak with your dr. Also, in my opinion, it justs sounds like you and your dh haven't timed intercourse with ovulation. There is medication out there to help regulate your periods. My only caution is this....I've read where MANY woman on this sight have started clomid without having all the initial infertility testing. Please be sure to have an hsg before starting clomid. "If" you have any type of blockage, then clomid wouldn't help you anyway. It would be a waste of time and money. I did have partial blockage that was cleared from the hsg. I'm praying this was our problem. I know so many people believe clomid is the answer, and I agree it is a wonderful drug. However, if tubes or anything is blocked or partially blocked, clomid would be a waste!!!!

slowpoke01 - July 16th, 2007 11:59 AM

I agree with should have the hsg dye test done to see if your tubes are blocked..many women with PCOS have regular periods for a while so they dont think that they have it so you should really emphasize to your doc to speed things along..also, more than likely you are not ovulating they can give you provera or prometrium to bring on your period...your progesterone may be low and that may be why you arent ovulating..

lisa mc - July 16th, 2007 1:06 PM

my partner and i have sex every second nite just incase i do ovulate and miss it. i did ask doctor if there was something she could give me to start off my period and she said there wasnt anything!! i have ordered vitex on the internet to see if that would maybe help regulate my period. i definitly think it is pcos i have. and am definitly going to speak to her about the hsg test and also the post coital test. thanks for all the info.

slowpoke01 - July 16th, 2007 1:36 PM

you can take provera or prometrium to start your period i dont know why they would tell you that there wasnt anything.

lisa mc - July 16th, 2007 2:18 PM

i know that after being on this forum. i have changed my dr since my old 1 said that just dont think she was interested!! do you have to be referred to a re? am in scotland dont know how it works here!!!

sherryz - July 16th, 2007 2:29 PM

lisa, I didn't have a referral for the RE. Different RE's have different policies, however. If you and your dh are at the point where you're really ready to undertake all of this, I would highly recommend turning to a RE. They are MUCH more knowledgeable about infertility. I have been VERY impressed by my RE. I also learned, just because you have a period, it doesn't necessarily mean you've ovulated. There are medications that help regulate your period as well as make you ovulate (clomid!) Push for the hsg, make sure your tubes are all clear, then regulate your periods and you're on your way!!! Good luck to you!!!

lisa mc - July 26th, 2007 9:26 AM

hi i got my results back and i did test positive for chlymidia am quite shocked as i have never had any symptoms. glad aswell as i can now get treated and hopefully get my bfp soon. i think i got it from my current partner as he found out not long ago that his ex of 12 years had been sleeping with other people and the other person i slept with had only slept with one other person before me and they were both virgins!!! so am glad me and my partner can get antibiotics to clear it up and keep trying!!

sherryz - July 26th, 2007 10:04 AM

lisa, good for you! I'm glad you found out something, although it may not be great news, at least you can do something about it. Maybe this was your problem all along! Good luck to you!

lisa mc - July 26th, 2007 1:31 PM

hi totally misunderstood results i got tested for chlymidia but actually tested positive for trichomoniasis!! i have never heard of it. it does apparently make you infertile aswell so i am now bricking it!!!


Please login or register to post on this thread.
Ask a Question