Clomiphene is a fertility drug that helps women with ovulation problems. It is sold under the brand names Clomid and Serophene.

What Does It Do?
Clomiphene is used to help regulate ovulation or induce ovulation in women who are not ovulating at all. It also assists in increasing the production of eggs in the ovaries and can help women with luteal phase defect. It is often prescribed to women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. It may also be prescribed to men whose fertility problems are due to a hormonal imbalance. However, the FDA has not approved this treatment for men and the effectiveness of the treatment is unproven.

This fertility medication works by stimulating the pituitary gland. This causes the pituitary to release more FSH and LH, which in turn helps stimulate the egg follicles resulting in improved egg production and ovulation. Clomiphene is also often used to produce multiple eggs for harvesting in women who are undergoing assisted reproductive technologies.

The Prescription
Clomiphene comes in 50mg tablets. This is the minimum dose prescribed to women. Starting on day 3, 4, or 5 of your cycle, you take one tablet daily for five days. If ovulation does not occur, your dosage may be increased to a maximum of 200mg per day. It is recommended that clomiphene be prescribed for a maximum of six cycles. Since about 80% of women will ovulate within the first three cycles, you may be switched to another type of treatment before the six-cycle mark if you do not seem to be responding to the treatment.

Taking clomiphene seems simple enough but it can involve a large time commitment from women. Frequent trips to the doctor are required throughout each cycle in order to monitor the progress of ovulation. Although it can be time consuming, it is the best way of knowing whether or not you are responding to the pills.

Serophene or Clomid side effects tend not to be serious and can include abdominal pain, tender breasts, minor swelling of the ovaries, insomnia, nausea, and vomiting. However, higher doses are associated with more sever side effects including blurred vision, weight gain, depression, and ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Additionally, about a third of women using clomiphene will have hostile cervical mucus which will make conception extremely difficult as this type of cervical mucus tends to kill off sperm.

Unprescribed Clomiphene
Many healthy, fertile women have begun using clomiphene without a prescription in the hopes of being able to conceive twins. Because of the numerous pharmacies operating over the internet, it is very easy to obtain this fertility drug without a prescription. However, using clomiphene without the supervision of a specialist, and when you are not experiencing fertility problems, is not only unnecessary but also dangerous.

Because the drug is not prescribed, there is no sure way to know whether the medication is affecting your body or in what way. Moreover, without the necessary close monitoring, it can cause the signs of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome to go unnoticed. This serious complication associated with fertility drugs can require immediate medical attention in severe cases.

Additionally, using clomid in women who do ovulate can actually make the body less effective at producing a pregnancy. Clomiphene use in fertilie women can result in new problems, like making your cervical mucus hostile to sperm, thereby lowering your chances of successfully conceiving.

Getting Pregnant
Of the 80% of women who respond to clomiphene within the first three cycles, 40% of these women will conceive. However, estimates of the numbers of women who deliver a live birth vary from 30% to 60%. Additionally, your chances of having twins increase by about 10% although it is not unheard of to conceive triplets or more while taking the medication.

Login to comment

Post a comment

I buy the generic here and they will deliver it without a prescription. I actually did get pregnant off of it.
hi i em on my 1st round of clmoid 50 mg days 3-7 and im now on c/d 23 can any one help me with some info, i do have 5 children to my ex my oldest is 7 now, i have been with my new partner for over 3 years now we have had 1 chiild together she would be 2 this year but at 36 weeks pregnant wit some bleeding on and off my waters broke, had a e.c section she came into the world 5 pond 2 oz 5 hours after birth she started breathing problems and after 2 long days gave up the fight an passed away hours after i got sick to we both had ecoli sep i recover after a month and have been ttc for over a year now thats why im on clomid hope to get pregnant but sceared it will happen again as no one can tell me how we got it in the frist place can some one plz give me so advise plz