Which fertility drug really works?
9 Replies
matzgrl - October 3

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and was hoping someone could help answer a few questions of mine. I am in my early 20's and my husband and I have been trying for a baby for over a year. I have regular periods, and I ovulate every month. To my knowledge, we are both in perfect health, so I don't understand why I can't get pregnant. I haven't seen a doctor regarding infertility b/c I heard it was very expensive. What should I do as my next step? Should I see a doctor anyway, or should I try some sort of fertility pill? If so, which one? I'm very open to suggestions!


whynotme - October 3

Well I guess the first thing you need to consider is how long have you been trying. Doctors say that you should try for atleast 12 months before getting concerned. Then you could atleast schedule a consultation with a Reproductive Endocrinologist to talk to him/her regarding treatmenst, test, cost, etc. It couldn't hurt anything. Going to one was the best thing that we ever did. Good luck!


matzgrl - October 3

Well, as I already mentioned, we have been trying for over a year...13 months to be exact. I assumed that at my age (22 when I began trying) I would get pregnant almost immediately. It seems like my friends talk about getting pregnant, and 2 days later, we're planning a baby shower. I am very concerned about my problem!! it seems like this is all I think about. SO...I have decided to see an endocrinologist. My next question is: what is the doctor going to do to me? I know that sounds funny, but seriously, what kind of testing will be done? Will my husband also be tested? Is the doctor going to prescribe me some kind of medication? I just want to know what to expect. Can anyone help me?!!!!!


thayward7 - October 3

Seeing an RE is a good choice. I'm sorry this has been such a struggle for you. When I first saw my RE, actually BEFORE he would see me I had loads of blood work on specific days of my cycle and a hysterosalpingogram to make sure my tubes were clear. Hopefully you'll be able to get some answers. I would wait before you take anything and see what the RE says. Good Luck! Smiles and Babydust... T


HeatherP - October 3

Hi there! With you being so young they will most likely first do bloodwork which will tell them if your hormone levels are off among other things and may also want your husband to give a sample. That part is relatively inexpensive. The next step would be the hsg (hysterosalpingogram) to make sure your tubes are clear and that you have no blockage. They also will want to ensure that you are ovulating on your own. Just so you know, even in the most healthy fertile couple, the chances of getting pregnant are 25% each month. It really may just be a matter of timing it just right. Are you taking your temperature and using the ovulation predictors every month? Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.


MelissaV - October 3

You've already been given some good advice---the first thing that should be done is having your DH checked out...it's usually the cheapest & least invasive testing. Then like the previous posts stated, you'll first have bw and an HSG to check for tube blockage. Most doctors won't put you on fertility meds until they know if your tubes are open.


isa - October 3

start taking your bbt. look at www.fertilityfriend.com and learn how to do that. It will give you oodles of info on your cycles if there is a problem. Also start using opks to see if you are timing you bd'ing at the right time. These 2 steps are free to bbt once you get your thermometer and relatively inexpensive for the opks if you buy the strip ones. I'm assuming you havent done this yet but it is cheaper than seeing an RE. As the others said dh testing is far less invasive and inexpensive than you but your tests will first be tons of b/w and u/s and hsg. If still nothing is found and you are optimizing the correct time of bd then are you bd too often? not enough? Males should ejaculate no less than every 5-7 days and if he has issues with poor sperm you should bd only every other night around ovulation not every night. For example if you ovulate on cd 14 then bd starting on cd 10, 12, 14 and mabe 15 for good measure if he may have issues. If you start to bd around cd6 by the time you get to cd 14 there isnt much quality left. Google the web, you'll get tons of info on that. Doc down the road might put you on meds. Make sure you are monitored while on ANY fertility med with BOTH u/s and b/w. He most likely will put you on clomid down the road but make sure you monitor your lining as it will thin your lining. You cannot get pg with a thin lining so dont go on clomid and not have your lining checked with u/s. It's a long process. Take the easy steps first and hopefully its just a matter of wrongly timed bd. Oh by the way the more you stress the less likely you will conceive. Cortisol is not our friend when TTC. Start taking folic acid or a prenatal vitamin, eat healthy dont drink, no hot tubs or saunas for either of you, 100% cotton boxers for dh. good luck


isa - October 3

oh by the way your question of "which fertility drug really works" depends on who you ask. None of them have worked for me yet!


matzgrl - October 4

Wow!!! You all have been so helpful to me. I really appreciate your willingness to help me by educating me on this issue. I am so thankful for your informative responses! If I have any more questions, I'll let you know. Thanks again.


MelissaV - October 4

Isa is right about starting to bbt. Most likely your doctor will want to see your temperature chart...they can tell a lot about your cycle by looking at those charts. Fertilityfriend.com is great.



New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?