Metformin
5 Replies
Samantha - May 17

I have been taking Metformin for last week and the nausea is like constant travel sickness. We had 6 months of clomid with no luck. I am slightly over weight and wonder if this drug is given to overweight ladies who don't ovulate? I have not spoken to my consultant but a very rude doctor who filled out the prescription said they would not give this to me if I was small......I am about 25 pounds over weight. Has anybody else heard this?

Kristen - June 9

Samantha I also just started Met 2 days ago and the nausea is unreal. I can't believe the Dr wants me to go from 500 mg up to 1500 mg in the next few weeks. I am overweight also by 25 lbs but I have PCOS. I actually had ovarian drilling las summer. The Dr didn't put me on Met to ovulate but rather to regulate my blood sugar. In addition to Met, he's putting me on Clomid to assist in the ovulation. If it were me I would look for a Dr that was going to take the time to explain why he's putting me on certain medications and what the benefits will be in the long run.

shirece - June 30

hi, i've been on metformin for almost 3 months. the only side effect i have had is nausea. if you dont eat or drink a glass of milk it will make you very very sick. you have to eat or drink milk before you take it. other then that i've had no side effects..the good thing is i can tell i dont crave sweets as much anymore lol

Sara - July 25

Hi Samatha, I too am on metformin and clomid... and I'm not overweight. I don't think it matters on the person's size but it will help sensitize your ovaries. Good luck with the new meds..

Joan - August 6

Metformin can cause nasty diarrhea too... hopefully you won't have this problem. I remember when I first started taking it it was horrible. I thought I was dying or something. The nausea will eventually go away though... just hope you don't have any side effects with it. I lost about 40 pounds when I first started it, hated the side effects and gained it all back when my doctor switched me to Actos. Don't EVER take that it makes you constipated and I gained all the weight I had lost plus some.

mswms - October 17

I am about 30 lbs overweight. have been on clomid for 2 months. Horrible side effects for about 3 weeks. I have lost about 9 pounds, could be more but the depression of infertility makes me want chocolate! I have PCOS and am ttc #1.

New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?