Are Fertility Herbs Safe?
Many women prefer to use natural remedies, feeling that they are somehow more in tune with our bodies and are somehow gentler than prescription medications. However, herbal remedies, like any other healing substances, should be taken with caution. Herbs can have as strong an effect on the body as any prescription drug and can interact with other herbs or medicines in some very dangerous ways.
All-natural herbal remedies have at times caused some serious adverse effects, among them seizures, strokes, and heart attacks. For this reason, it is crucial that you speak to your physician or health care provider before embarking on a course of herbal treatment for fertility (or for any other reason). It is also important to seek the advice of a qualified alternative medicine specialist or herbalist and not just grab a remedy off a drugstore shelf. Follow the instructions you receive to the letter and make sure to note and report any side effects with promptness.
Some of the herbs that are common in preparations intended to increase female infertility include:
*Stinging Nettle—this herb contains large amounts of minerals and chlorophyll which can help to regulate hormones. This may serve to normalize ovulatory dysfunction and irregular or lengthy, heavy menstruation. This herb is taken once a day as a tea.
* False Unicorn Root—this herb helps to restore the appropriate balance of hormones in women but also has a stimulatory effect on the ovaries which may help to trigger ovulation in anovulatory women.
* Lady’s Mantle—this herb helps to build a stronger uterine lining in preparation for egg implantation. It can also help to regulate the menstrual periods. The herb is prepared as a tincture, to be drunk once daily.
* Raspberry Leaf—this herb contains lots of calcium which is crucial to restore balance to the female hormones. The leaf works best when taken in tandem with red clover.
* Red Clover—this herb is among the most popular of all herbal remedies. Red clover is loaded with magnesium, calcium, and other vitamins. The herb, taken as a tea, once a day, nourishes the female reproductive system and helps to relax the nervous system so that conception may take place.
Here are some of the herbal remedies that are useful in targeting male fertility problems:
* Astralagus—this herb has long been in use as an aid to male fertility problems. Astralagus is believed to improve the rate of conception by increasing sperm concentration and motility.
* Panax Ginseng—most people know this herb as Chinese or Korean ginseng. Ginseng is an ancient and still popular remedy for infertility which has its origins in the pharmacopeia of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It is thought that this herb helps men to sustain a firmer erection for longer periods of time. Ginseng is also believed to increase the levels of the male hormone testosterone, as well as sperm counts and sperm motility.